Tuesday 1 March 2016

Freebie: Patience & Appreciation (Printable + Phone Wallpaper)

They were gone - everything - past lettering work, future lettering and illustrations I had intended to showcase, logos and headers from upcoming collaborations, styled photographs, family vacation photographs, school assignments.

In the last couple of months of 2015, the portable hard disk containing all my design and personal files had become faulty, and the price for its repair and file recovery was far too costly - more than ten times the original price of the hard disk itself. As a college student who was still studying, I was had no means to afford the four-digit repair cost.

The loss of my diligently-organised folders in the hard disk (which I had previously committed much of my time to construct) had upset me so much then that it came to a point where I wanted to throw in the towel.

I subsequently subjected myself to the deplorable state of remorse, lamenting how I should've opted for cloud storage, or used other methods. Returning to the one therapeutic activity that could take my mind off things, however, inevitably called for the labourious task of put the remaining, salvageable files back in order.

So during the last semester break, I had undertaken the arduous challenge of rebuilding the library of all my lettering and design work. Re-organising, re-editing, re-scanning any physical copies that were left. It was time-consuming and labourious, but without any reason, the only way to circumvent the problem. 

'Two things define you: your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.' - Imam Ali 

Patience Quote Printable and Phone Wallpaper / Lettering and Photo by The Happy Candle @thehappycandle
Patience Quote Printable and Phone Wallpaper / Lettering and Photo by The Happy Candle @thehappycandle


Version 1 // White

Printable
Simple Download
Floral Download

Phone (Andriod/iPhone)
Simple 1080 X 1920
Floral 1080 X 1920

Version 2 // Black

Printable
Simple Download
Floral Download

Phone (Andriod/iPhone)
Simple 1080 X 1920
Floral 1080 X 1920

The freebie for this post is just a little reflective reminder I'd like to share after my much-needed test. I've been practicing more each weekend, experimenting with new brushes and brush pens to create a neater lettering piece each time. I acknowledge that it is not the best, and there are improvements to make. Documenting my lettering progress has made this space such a beneficial learning journey and I am ever so grateful to have family, friends and readers to share it with.

As for losing family vacation photographs in the hard disk, it finally occurred to me that living in the moment is far more important than possessing those scenic images. Captured moments in physical form are doubtlessly beautiful, but being present and mindful as each new experience sweeps in supersedes this. The fleeting nature of each irreplaceable second makes it even more breathtaking than we can imagine.

It's difficult to imagine, but losing everything was the best thing that has ever happened in the recent months. Having some patience and a sense of appreciation will certainly shape resilience, and our seemingly innate ability to survive the worst life can hurl towards us.

Until next time ♥ 

Lettering and photo by me

Printables created by Dian from The Happy Candle. For personal use only. Not for distribution or resale. Please link back to original post if shared. Thank you.

13 comments

  1. Love this! :)

    Julia
    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/philly-with-a-fjallraven-philly-photography-14621583

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that you love it, thank you for your kind comment, Julia! :)

      Delete
  2. Dian... it's a tough lesson to learn.. I've learned it a few times. Once I had a book of my poetry that went missing. I was heartbroken but I came to terms with it and wrote more poetry a few years later. I learned it wasn't the end of the world. I'm glad you were able to get some of your work up loaded. I have things saved everywhere now ♡ It's nice to see you posting again ♡♡♡ xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about what happened to your poetry book, but glad to hear you were able to get over it too. Couldn't agree more with what you said - it certainly isn't the end of the world even when we seem to have lost everything. Thank you so much for all your sweet and generous comments, Launna. Really appreciate the time you take to read the posts. Hope you are well. ♡

      Delete
  3. These are absolutely beautiful. And the message, even more. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your kind comment, Zakkiya! This really means so much to me because your work is so beautiful. Love Inkstruck Studio - your watercolour tips are extremely helpful, your calligraphy is gorgeous and your illustrations are just stunning. Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  4. Ouch! I can feel your pain :( I lost my iPod a while ago and it had like 2k photos, from family weddings and gatherings, and none of them were stored on iCloud, which meant they were gone for real. As much as it hurt to lose it all, I realized how virtual moments didn't matter that much as I anticipated. Those people were in my life & that was the most important thing.
    This quote is so beautiful. And so is your calligraphy. You go, gurrrrrrrrrl!

    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with what you said, Noor, living in the moment is definitely invaluable. Thank you for your sweet comment! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi people,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to learn more about the Candles I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous and timely reminder. I had considered apologising & lamenting your loss with you - but instead, I think, I shall step back and thank you for sharing it with us. Though I know it must feel gutwrenching to lose so much of oneself, it is equally important, as you say, to live in the moment - to look forward, rather than backward. Wonderful things await! All my love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, Dian!! I just stumbled upon your blog via your beautiful and inspiring lettering piece in the Ink Stained Lungs zine and may I just ask whY IS IT THAT YOU DON'T HAVE LIKE 600 MILLION FOLLOWERS?? BECAUSE YOUR BLOG IS SO STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL AND YOUR ART IS INCREDIBLE AND YOU'RE JUST AWESOME OK. Seriously I'm so happy I found this space!!

    I've always been so amazed by hand lettering (I really can't do it myself *nervous laughter*) and I can't imagine the amount of time and effort that goes into a work of art like that *gestures wildly towards the printable above* THEREFORE I SERIOUSLY CANNOT IMAGINE LOSING A TON OF YOUR WORK TO A DUMB HARD DRIVE. Like omg I would have been wailing. This post and this hand lettering is a really beautiful reminder. <3 Thank you for that. And keep up the good work!! I'll probably be stalking your Pinterest, fair warning. ;)

    lotsalove,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this informative article. For more info about candle box packaging very beautiful article nice use of pics.

    ReplyDelete